BAD FOR MAINE’S ECONOMY
CMP FALSE CLAIM: The CMP Corridor will create $1 billion in jobs, taxes and other benefits to Maine by 2027.
TRUTH: Any benefits to Maine’s economy that the CMP Corridor will bring will be offset by dramatic harms on it.
- Countless jobs in the biomass industry and related forest products industries would be put in jeopardy.
- Tourism is the number one industry in Maine, and this corridor will jeopardize those jobs.
- This corridor would jeopardize Maine’s renewable energy sector, which could lose hundreds of millions of dollars over the next fifteen years as a direct result of this project.
- Maine-based renewable energy businesses provide hundreds of good jobs for Mainers, while limiting our reliance on foreign energy sources.
BAD FOR MAINE’S ENVIRONMENT
CMP FALSE CLAIM: Three to four million metric ton reduction in regional CO2 emissions
TRUTH: The CMP Corridor will significantly HARM Maine’s environment. That’s why no environmental organization in Maine supports this corridor.
- A 53 mile corridor the width of the New Jersey Turnpike would cut through western Maine, crossing some of the country's last native brook trout habitat, fragile wetlands, deer yards and ruining pristine scenic views.
- Maine's most prominent environmental groups agree that this project will cause irreparable damage to Maine's wilderness.
- Even the Massachusetts attorney general agrees this project will not reduce carbon emissions.
- The CMP Corridor does NOT meet the definition of renewable power because it’s not new power generated.
- CMP’s Canadian partner in this project is Hydro-Quebec, whose vast system of reservoirs and dams cause the release of CO2 and methane on an ongoing basis. Yet it claims with no supporting documentation that its power is “zero emissions”. Clearly, it is not.
NO BENEFIT FOR RATEPAYERS
CMP FALSE CLAIM: $140 million for consumer rate relief
TRUTH: The CMP Corridor has offered ratepayers the equivalent of 37 cents per month while they profit to the tune of $5 million per month.
- Corridor will not result in lower power bills for Maine ratepayers.
MAINERS STRONGLY OPPOSE
CMP FALSE CLAIM: The Maine Public Utilities Commission says the project will deliver significant economic, environmental and reliability benefits for the people of Maine.
TRUTH: Mainers do NOT want the CMP Corridor and have said so explicitely.
- Polls show nearly three-quarters of Mainers think the project is a bad deal.
- 25 towns rescinded support or opposed the project.
- When the DEP collected public comments for the corridor, 2,283 people submitted a comment in opposition. 11 submitted a comment in support.
- More than 1,300 Mainers also submitted statements in opposition to the Public Utilities Commission. 28 submitted statements in support.
THE CMP CORRIDOR IS A BAD DEAL FOR MAINE!
This high impact transmission line will bring hydropower from Canadato Massachusetts, profiting international corporations.
WE CAN'T TRUST CMP:
- Ranked as worst utility in America by JD Power three years in a row
- Maine ranked last in nation for power reliability
- Placed under investigation/fined multiple times in the last few years
- Tells Mainers one thing while doing another...like running ads claiming a cut of 54’ when actually cutting on average 98’. Find out more at www.NoCMPCorridor.com/clearcut
CMP'S CORRIDOR IS BAD FOR MAINE'S ENVIRONMENT:
- Maine’s most prominent environmental groups all agree that this project will cause irreparable damage to Maine’s undeveloped forest without promised GHG benefits
- Fragments the last great forest east of the Mississippi River
- Even the Massachusetts attorney general agrees this project will not reduce carbon emissions
- CMP has repeatedly said this project is not about climate change...find out more at www.NoCMPCorridor.com/climate
CMP'S CORRIDOR IS BAD FOR MAINE'S ECONOMY:
- Countless jobs in the biomass industry and related forest products industries put injeopardy by the Corridor
- Corridor will destroy heritage fisheries and harm the regional tourism industry
- Will cost Maine-based renewables $400 million in the first 15 years of operation,jeopardizing hundreds of good paying jobs
- Creates an artificial reliance on foreign energy, exporting profits to Quebec and Spain.Find out more at www.NoCMPCorridor.com/economic_impact
CMP HAS SPENT MILLIONS TO SILENCE YOUR VOICE:
- CMP sued the State of Maine to block a statewide vote last year
- CMP has spent millions of dollars on propaganda and lawsuits, and it has forged ahead with construction, despite pending lawsuits and ahead of the statewide vote
- Hydro-Quebec, a government-owned corporation, has also spent more than $10 million to influence the outcome of this referendum - money they wouldn’t be allowed to spend on a similar effort in their own country!
Maine is NOT AN EXTENSION CORD for Massachusetts
Will you join us in voting YES to REJECT the CMP Corridor this November?